Starting a New Organization
Any Temple student can apply to start their own organization from June 1, 2016- February 28, 2017 or August 28, 2017-February 28, 2018 Here's a step-by-step guide to the process.
Take a look at the current list of almost 300 student organizations that already exist at Temple
- The mission and purpose of your organization must be completely different than any of our current recognized student organizations.
- Collaboration with existing organizations is highly encouraged instead of duplicating efforts.
Complete New Organization Registration on Owl Connect
Before completing the application please be aware of the following requirements for recognition:
- A minimum of 10 members who are interested in creating or actively participating in the organization.
- A full-time faculty/staff member who has agreed to serve as the organization’s advisor.
- A constitution that includes the sections described in our How to Write a Constitution guide.
- The application includes questions inquiring about the following information:
- A description of your organization's mission and purpose.
- Contact information for your organization's advisor, officers, and members.
- Membership requirements (if any).
- Affiliations with local, regional, or national organizations (if any) and contact information for affiliates.
- If the organization plans to travel or work with minors.
Complete the Student Org Basics training workshop
- Once your New Organization Registration is reviewed, the Program Coordinator for Student Organizations will email you with suggested edits to your submission. Your registration may be temporarily denied to allow you to make edits and resubmit.
- Then you will receive information about our monthly Student Org Basics workshops.
- In Student Org Basics, officers will learn:
- How to use Owl Connect for organization management
- How to participate in our STARS program
- Policies and procedures for Student Activities and our campus partners.
- How to reserve space through Student Center Operations.
- How to request and use TSG Allocations.
- Best practices for financial management.
Schedule a New Student Organization Presentation
- After Student Org Basics is complete, the Program Coorindator for Student Organizations will contact you to schedule a time for your New Organization Presentation. Materials will be provided to guide your preparation.
- All officers are invited to the meeting to:
- Share the student organization's “Why” statement, S.M.A.R.T. goals, and First Year Plan
- Review the new organization registration if necessary
- Answer any questions/concerns about Student Org Basics
Student Activities makes final determination for approval
- The Assistant Director of Student Activities will review the new organization registration and presentation to make final decision for registration. The Program Coordinator for Student Organizations will email you regarding the status of your new organization. If approved, all privileges of being a recognized student organization will immediately go into effect.
Please contact Student Activities with questions regarding new student organizations.
Once organizations are approved and registered with Student Activities, they are expected to complete Re-registration each spring semester and attend our Student Org Basics training each fall semester (usually held the week after Labor Day). Our Dates + Deadlines page will update with this information as soon as future dates are confirmed.