Starting a New Organization
Take a look at the current list of over 400 student organizations that already exist at Temple
The mission and purpose of your organization must be completely different than any of our current recognized student organizations.
- Collaboration with existing organizations is highly encouraged instead of duplicating efforts.
Complete New Organization Registration on Owl Connect
New Organization registration for the Spring Semester will be open January 17, 2023 - February 6, 2023.
For the application, log into OwlConnect, then the blue "Register a New Organization" button.
Or log into OwlConnect, select Organization from the top menu, then Register an Organization and then the blue "Register a New Organization" button. Please note the registration application will not be open until January 17, 2023.
Before completing the application please be aware of the following requirements for registration:
- A minimum of 10 members who are interested in creating or actively participating in the organization.
- A full-time faculty/staff member who has agreed to serve as the organization’s advisor.
- A constitution that includes the sections described in our How to Write a Constitution guide.
- The application includes questions inquiring about the following information:
- A description of your organization's mission and purpose.
- Contact information for your organization's advisor, officers, and members.
- Membership requirements (if any).
- Affiliations with local, regional, or national organizations (if any) and contact information for affiliates.
- If the organization plans to travel or work with minors.
Once your New Organization Registration is reviewed, the Program Coordinator for Student Organizations will email you with suggested edits to your submission. Your registration may be temporarily denied to allow you to make edits and resubmit.
Complete the New Student Organization Training Workshop
New Organization training workshop will take place Friday, February 10, 2023.
The New Student Organization Training Workshop is mandatory and by invitation only, contingent on registration approval.
- The Program Coordinator will host the workshop that will cover:
- Establishing an organizaton's mission and goals
- Establishing SMART Goals
- Establing a strong Inclusivity Statement
- Establishing an organization's first year plan
Schedule a New Student Organization Presentation
New Organization Presentations will take place between the dates of February 13, 2023 - February 17, 2023.
- After New Student Organization Training Workshop is attended, your organization may schedule your New Student Organization Presentation with the Student Activities Professional Staff.
- All officers are invited to the meeting to:
- Share the student organization's “Why” statement, S.M.A.R.T. goals, and First Year Plan
- Explain your Inclusivity Statement
- Review the new organization registration if necessary
Attend Student Organization Basics on February 21, 2023 from 5:00PM - 7:30PM
This workshop is mandatory for all student organizations.
- In "Student Organization Organization Basics", officers will learn:
- How to use Owl Connect for organization management
- How to participate in our STARS program
- Policies and procedures for Student Activities and our campus partners
- How to reserve space through Student Center Operations
- How to request and use TSG Allocations
- Best practices for financial management
More information about this session will be sent individually to all organization throughout this proccess.
Student Activities makes the final approval of Student Organizations to be active for Spring 2023.
Once organizations are approved and registered with Student Activities, they are expected to complete
- Re-registration each Spring Semester via OwlConnect
- Attend our Student Org Basics training each fall semester (usually held the week after Labor Day)
Our Dates + Deadlines page will update with this information as soon as future dates are confirmed.
Considering opening a non-Temple affiliated bank account? Click here to find out how to obtain an EIN for your Student Organization.