Starting a New Organization
Thank you so much for showing interest in starting a new Recognized Student Organization at Temple University!
Below, you will find out more information about our New Student Organization Proccess:
New Student Organization Proccess
Step 1: Do Your Research on OwlConnect
Take a look at the current list of over 400 student organizations that already exist at Temple
The mission and purpose of your organization must be completely different than any of our current recognized student organizations.
- Collaboration with existing organizations is highly encouraged instead of duplicating efforts.
Step 2: Complete New Organization Registration on Owl Connect
New Organization registration is an annual process that occurs each spring. For the Spring 2024 Semester registration will be open January 16, 2024 - February 6, 2024.
For the application, log into OwlConnect, select Organization from the top menu, then Register an Organization and then the blue "Register a New Organization" button. Please note the registration application will not be open until January 16, 2024.
Before completing the application please be aware of the following requirements for registration:
- A minimum of 10 members who are interested in creating or actively participating in the organization.
- A full-time faculty/staff member who has agreed to serve as the organization’s advisor.
- A constitution that includes the sections described in our How to Write a Constitution guide.
- The application includes questions inquiring about the following information:
- A description of your organization's mission and purpose.
- Contact information for your organization's advisor, officers, and members.
- Membership requirements (if any).
- Affiliations with local, regional, or national organizations (if any) and contact information for affiliates.
- If the organization plans to travel or work with minors.
Once your New Organization Registration is reviewed, the Program Coordinator for Student Organizations will email you with suggested edits to your submission. Your registration may be temporarily denied to allow you to make edits and resubmit.
Step 3: Complete the New Student Organization Training Workshop
New Organization training workshop will take place Friday, February 9, 2024.
The New Student Organization Training Workshop is mandatory and by invitation only, contingent on registration approval.
- The Program Coordinator will host the workshop that will cover:
- Establishing an organizaton's mission and goals
- Establishing SMART Goals
- Establing a strong Inclusivity Statement
- Establishing an organization's first year plan
Step 4: Schedule a New Student Organization Presentation
New Organization Presentations will take place between the dates of February 13, 2024 - February 16, 2024.
- After New Student Organization Training Workshop is attended, your organization may schedule your New Student Organization Presentation with the Student Activities Professional Staff.
- All officers are invited to the meeting to:
- Share the student organization's “Why” statement, S.M.A.R.T. goals, and First Year Plan
- Explain your Inclusivity Statement
- Review the new organization registration if necessary
Step 5: Complete Student Organization Administration Course
The "Student Organization Administration Course" is a series of online modules that train student organization officers on how to administratively function on Temple University's campus. The following officers are responsible for completing the course:
- Vice President
- ***STARS Coordinator***
- Only required if your organization has this position.
Student Organization Officers must pass this course with a 90% grade or higher.
***More information about this course will be sent individually to all organization throughout this proccess.***
Student Activities makes the final approval of Student Organizations to be active for Spring 2024.