Starting a New Organization
The New Student Organization Application is temporarily suspended until Fall 2020. Student Activities will not be accepting new registrations for the 2019-2020 Academic Year.
Here's a step-by-step guide to the process.
Take a look at the current list of over 400 student organizations that already exist at Temple
- The mission and purpose of your organization must be completely different than any of our current recognized student organizations.
- Collaboration with existing organizations is highly encouraged instead of duplicating efforts.
Complete New Organization Registration on Owl Connect
The New Organization Registration will open on September 25, 2020 and close on October 25, 2020 for Fall 2020.
Before completing the application please be aware of the following requirements for registration:
- A minimum of 10 members who are interested in creating or actively participating in the organization.
- A full-time faculty/staff member who has agreed to serve as the organization’s advisor.
- A constitution that includes the sections described in our How to Write a Constitution guide.
- The application includes questions inquiring about the following information:
- A description of your organization's mission and purpose.
- Contact information for your organization's advisor, officers, and members.
- Membership requirements (if any).
- Affiliations with local, regional, or national organizations (if any) and contact information for affiliates.
- If the organization plans to travel or work with minors.
Once your New Organization Registration is reviewed, the Program Coordinator for Student Organizations will email you with suggested edits to your submission. Your registration may be temporarily denied to allow you to make edits and resubmit.
Complete the New Student Org training workshop
The New Student Org Training Workshop is mandatory and by invitation only, contingent on registration approval.
- The Program Coordinator will host the workshop that will cover:
- Establishing an organizaton's mission and goals
- Establishing SMART Goals
- Establishing an organization's first year plan
The dates of the New Student Org Training Workshop will be November 2, 2020 and November 3, 2020.
Schedule a New Student Organization Meeting
- After New Student Org Training Workshop is attended, your org may schedule a meeting with the Program Coordinator for Student Organizations.
- All officers are invited to the meeting to:
- Share the student organization's “Why” statement, S.M.A.R.T. goals, and First Year Plan
- Review the new organization registration if necessary
Attend Student Organization Basics
- In Student Org Basics, officers will learn:
- How to use Owl Connect for organization management
- How to participate in our STARS program
- Policies and procedures for Student Activities and our campus partners
- How to reserve space through Student Center Operations
- How to request and use TSG Allocations
- Best practices for financial management
Student Organization Basics for New Student Organizations will be December 2, 2020 and December 3, 2020.
Student Activities makes the final approval of Student Organizations to be active for Spring 2021.
Once organizations are approved and registered with Student Activities, they are expected to complete Re-registration each spring semester and attend our Student Org Basics training each fall semester (usually held the week after Labor Day). Our Dates + Deadlines page will update with this information as soon as future dates are confirmed.
Considering opening a non-Temple affiliated bank account? Click here to find out how to obtain an EIN for your Student Organization.