Information for Advisors
All registered student organizations must have a full time Temple staff or faculty member serve as their advisor.
Although the Student Activities does not define the role of the advisor to your organization, we strongly urge advisors to assist groups with the following:
- Develop realistic goals for the academic year.
- Attend executive board meetings, general meetings, and organization events when possible.
- Encourage the officers of the organization to share information with the general membership.
- Assist in the orientation of new members and with the transition process each year.
- Become familliar with the Temple University Student Code of Conduct and other institutional guidelines that establish expectations for student behavior and activities.
- Guide the group and its officers to established policies, answer policy questions, and explain the consequences for choosing to operate outside their parameters.
Some student organizations are completely self-sufficient, requiring little assistance from their advisor; however, other orgs heavily depend on the guidance of their advisor. To help advisors and student leaders communicate about the value of the various roles, you are encouraged to utilize the Expectations worksheet. This worksheet provides a platform for the executive board and the advisor to discuss the significance of the potential functions the advisor should or shouldn’t be performing.