Information for Advisors
All registered student organizations must have a full time Temple staff or faculty member serve as their advisor. If you are interested in serving as an advisor for one of our student organizations, click here.
Registered Student Organization (RSO) advisors serve as intentional guides and advocates for their student organization. Along with the RSO team in Student Activities, advisors may wear many hats, including risk and crisis manager, thought partner, university liaison, contextualizer, mediator and coach.
As a Registered Student Organization advisor, the Office of Student Activities RSO team expects that you will:
- be involved in the functions and operations of the student organization
- maintain regular communication with organization leaders be familiar with the organization’s mission, vision, purpose, operating bylaws, intended outcomes, goals, structures, and procedures
- stay apprised of relevant university policies and procedures and how they relate to the student organization
- understand the basics of university funding structures for student organizations and the process for requesting funding
- hold the organization accountable to Student Activities and university policy and the standards the organization has established for themselves
- encourage smooth and successful organization transitions
- assist the organization’s leadership to navigate group dynamics and relevant interpersonal challenges within the organization
- support students in finding a balance between their academics, personal lives, and co-curricular activities
All RSO advisors for Main Campus Registered Student Organizations must complete the annual advisor training in Canvas between early August and mid-September.
Our team will host 1-2 opt-in advisor sessions per semester on topics of interest to advisors. If you have ideas or are interested in facilitating an advisor session, you have questions about how to become an advisor, training, policy/procedure, and/or are seeking additional support in your advisor role, please contact Arielle Greenwald.