The Student Training and Rewards System (STARS) is a voluntary program designed to challenge Temple University student organization members through increased opportunities for leadership and organizational development. Organizations will receive new rewards for each level of challenges met. In order to earn STARS rewards, organization members will participate in activities that are designed to help them learn, grow, and achieve success. Download a copy of the STARS brochure here. As you compelte each set of challenges in the program, you should utilize the STARS Tracker to record your progress. You can also grab a hard copy of the brochure in the Student Activities office. If you have questions about the program, please contact the Program Coordinator for Student Organizations.
STARS Learning Outcomes:
- help your student organization achieve its goals;
- ensure that you are aware of important University policies, procedures, and resources;
- promote responsibility, respect, and positive experiences through student organizations.
- create learning opportunities outside the classroom;
- encourage collaboration between student organizations and other Temple University offices and departments;
- grant access to programs and services that will support organizations; and
- train student leaders in techniques to help student organizations run more effectively and successfully.
Organizations and leaders will benefit as a result of active participation in the STARS initiative. Student leaders will develop leadership knowledge and skills while student organizations will receive added rewards for dedication to the program. This includes additional recognition and promotion by Student Activities, the opportunity to collaborate with other Temple University offices and departments, and perks or discounts for Student Activities’ events.
Best Practices for STARS Success
The most important aspects of STARS involve collaboration with other student organizations and fine-tuning leadership skills of executive board members, as well as other members who are actively pursuing leadership positions. Some tips for successfully participating in STARS:
- Communicate! Adriane Reilly is someone you should be actively talking to about keeping up with STARS challenges, plus any ideas you have for your organization or for working with other student orgs.
- Participate! Schedule out who can go to various STARS workshops throughout the semester/year. Try to attend meetings that apply to bettering yourself as a leader on campus!
- Collaborate! Get involved with other organizations and departments on campus. Make an impact.
- Demonstrate! Make sure you are involving new members who could fill your student leadership role in the future.
Adapted from the Queer Student Union's transition binder, 2012-2013.